Friday, March 23, 2012

M9-Princely Advice Part 1

     Wow. Things are going a bit fast for me. We went from America right into Japan! Anyway, the Japanese rulers have asked for my advice in building a centralized government and capital. I'm on my way right now to medieval Japan!
"Pilot! Let's get this ship to Japan, quick!" I tell the pilot from the command deck.
"Yes sir!" He says quickly as he starts up the engines and clears the atmosphere.
"Prepare to time-warp in three...two...one...warp!" And with that, the Aarwolf warps away to Japan.
     We arrive in Japan at Prince Shotoku's mansion two hours after we landed. The Aarwolf is safely hidden and these guys want our help, so why did I have such a bad feeling about this mission? I dismiss the thought as the Martian instinct of being alert in unknown places, but it still loitered at the back of my brain. Still trying to keep the thought in check, I lead my men up to the giant doors of the palace and the servants open it. A man dressed in fine silk is waiting for us behind the door.
"Welcome. You are our guests for this evening I presume?" He says very formally in Japanese.
"Yes we are. Do you know what the prince has in store for us?" I reply in Japanese.
"No. But if you were invited here, it must be for a big purpose. Allow me to show you your rooms."
"Rooms?" At the mention of our rooms I am almost terrified.
"Yes. The prince does not know how long you will be staying, and he wants you to be very comfortable." The man says irritably. "Follow me please." We follow him past the bronze gates and through the courtyard until he stops at a big wooden door.
"This will serve as your living quarters." He says as he opens the door to reveal a highly decorated room with beds and tables. "The prince will send for you when he's ready."
"Thank you." I say as I walk through the door followed closely by my men. After about an hour we have everything set up and it's very cozy. Most of us are taking naps, but some are still on their guard. I have no idea when the prince will send for us, but it better be soon.
     After about an hour Prince Shotoku sends for us. We walk through the courtyard observing with some unease the presumably docile animals that could easily maul us. We enter the magnificent throne room, and there, sitting upon a golden seat, is the prince. It's hard not to think that he was already the emperor, for there is at least fifty servants with him and even a couple armored soldiers!
"Hello.....guests." The prince says. "I'm glad you can be here. I need some input on where to establish my great capital to control all of Japan from. Of course, there is a limit of how big and grand it can be. I have not managed to scrimp enough money for a huge city, so DON'T OVERDUE IT!" At the last couple words, we all cringe at the unexpected anger. I guess this guy just wants us to know that he's in charge. I walk up to him and describe my plan. 
"Well, I think it should be located in the southern region of Honshu. The reason being that Honshu is the biggest island and it had the most fertile valley in Japan. Also, that location is almost exactly in the center of the region."
"Well, I'm glad I could have that input. Now it is time for you to go." At this, we bow and turn, only to find  that more soldiers have cut off our exit. Before I can react, I feel cold iron around my wrists and everything goes black. 
     When I come to, all that there is to see is a seemingly endless blackness. I try to move, only to find that my wrists are chained behind my back. I follow the coil of chain and find that I'm also attached to the wall. I silently curse my decision to take this mission, but it's obviously to late to turn back. I crawl along the wall and find other chains, but they lead to cold, stiff bodies that I can't and don't want to identify. Giving up on silence and secrecy, I call out silently to anyone (or anything) else that might be alive in here.
"Hello? Guys? Where are you?" I wait as the echo rebounds off the walls. No reply. I try to assure myself that they are still out cold or in another dungeon.
"Guys? Hello?" I say a little louder. Still no reply. I know that eventually the soldiers will eventually come down and kill me, or I will die of starvation. Either way I will die. As I ponder this new idea, I find that my hands are already feeling for weak points in the chain. Well, they can't beat the spirit out of me.
     After a long time of scraping and sawing, the chain finally breaks. I gather it up and throw it over my shoulder so that it won't scrape along the floor, and then I start feeling for the door. When I finally find the door, I try the lock and.....find it open. I can't help smiling at the stupidity of the guards. The door squeaks a bit as I open it, and the light temporarily blinds me, but I realize that I'm free. I find myself in a dense jungle and the sun is still insanely bright. I wonder why they put me here, but I dismiss the thought and start out to where I think the Destroyer is hidden. As I walk, a nagging thought resides in the back of my head. Why was it so easy? The doubt is increased by the unshakable feeling of being watched, so I stay on my guard.
TO BE CONTINUED

1 comment:

  1. Because you had given up all hope, your final escape was very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete