I guess I could have picked a better time to visit Jerusalem. Rumors of a huge Crusader army approaching and the resent fall of most of the Muslim controlled cities farther north have sparked panic. When I got here though, nobody seemed to be trying to leave. They must be confident that the garrison army would hold the city, or that the two warring nations would form an alliance before the crusaders got here. Anyway, a few of the citizens invited me to see the sights, I agreed, knowing that I could both finish a TTI mission and see Medieval Jerusalem.
I arrived at the city at about noon and headed toward the Muslim corner of the city. There are three main attractions, one in the Muslim corner (Dome of the Rock), one in the Christian/Armenian corner (Church of the Holy Sepulcher), and one in the Jewish corner (Western/Wailing Wall). I didn't know if I'd get to see all of them, so I was going to drop in and say hi then hit the city. Unfortunately, I never got the chance. Just as I neared the meeting point, a platoon of soldiers moved past, followed by at least 3/4 of the rest of the cavalry, camels, and infantry. The Muslim army was moving out, and the Crusaders were moving in.
Well, we're back to know. As the citizens gather all the things that can kill or maim someone, I know that the large Crusader army had disheartened Jerusalem. All inhabitants are instructed to grab a weapon of some sort and get to the outer wall.
"Oh crap. Now I have to withstand some Crusaders hordes." I said to myself. "Well, I'll do my best...." I knew that eventually, I would either be killed or.....well.....actually the Crusaders just killed everyone, so eventually I would have to run away or plow through their lines and get behind the main force. I could cause even more casualties if I went behind them, so I think I will do that.
"ATTA-erk!!" I hear as a Crusader charges through the gate and lands on my sword. But there's no time to celebrate this soldiers demise, for more come streaming in after him and start hacking away at the poorly trained militia. I do my best to help them, with many a Crusader falling upon my sword, but it's hopeless. I know that I must leave before I am killed. Leaving only a handful of Crusaders alive I charge out the door and plow into the stunned hordes of the enemy. Many just watch in awed terror as I tear through there lines like a knife through warm butter. Soon a long trail of red and white follows in my wake of destruction, but the army seems endless, and now I'm meeting some fierce resistance. Even with my skill, it's not easy defending from all sides and charging forward at the same time. I know that soon I will grow tired and they will overwhelm me. I ponder this as I continue to cut down the unfortunate men that try to halt my rampage. Suddenly, I see a break. It seems like the last row of Crusaders stands between me and freedom. Using up the last of my fighting strength, I lung toward their waiting weapons.
To my surprise, they jump out of the way as I barrel toward them. Nobody tries to stab me as I fly behind the enemy lines and down the steep hill. I sit up, trying to recover from the seemingly endless somersaulting and rolling that occurred on the hill. I recover quickly and leap up, expecting a spear to hit me any minute. But there's nothing. Just silence. I start walking toward the open desert, occasionally looking back and imagining the bloody slaughter that's taking place inside the ruined and smoking city of Jerusalem. I try to push these thoughts out of my mind as I turn on my wrist device and wait for the Destroyer to take me home.
Nice use of dishearten!
ReplyDelete-Lola :)
Nice job including links to the places you visited-great idea!
ReplyDelete