"Helloooo??? Will? Snap out of it! Where should we go???"
"Relax," I reply, "I'm not dead. And we should head to Swaziland. Make sure to land out of sight and turn on stealth mode because if they see us we're going to end up being blown to heck." He seems surprised at this answer, but only for a second.
"Aye-aye cap'n." He says as he keys the course and flying conditions into the ship's computer.
"Punch it!" I say, and immediately the button is thrown and the Destroyer warps away.
We land at approximately 16:00 hours and the infiltration team forms up.
"Everyone got there camo?" I ask. All six of them nod and turn the dial to "modern". Suddenly we're dressed in modern clothes and speaking Swazi.
"Let's go!" I bark. We walk down the hill very military like and I start to wonder if this would attract attention. Just to make sure I order them to remain casual, something that is very hard for us Martians because of our military life, and continue walking towards the city.
"Remember troops," I say as we approach the city limits, "we are to show NO acts of hostility AT ALL. Most of our greetings and traditions are insulting or humiliating to the humans."
"So we can't even do this?" One soldier asks as he flips the finger in the air.
"Hahaha. And no, definitely DO NOT do that! If you do that to anyone, especially a guard, all escape attempts will be fruitless!!" I yell at him as we reach the guardhouse. I hand the guard our papers and he doesn't even blink.
"Go on." He says as the gate is raised. We walk in relieved, knowing that King Msuwati and his Prime Minister Barnabas Sibusiso Dlamini III have the security pretty relaxed here.If it wasn't, I'm not sure what would've happened if they had seen that our papers weren't "in order".
"Okay everyone, split up and patrol your sectors." I say. Soon, the only way to communicate is by radio. We start our rounds and I can here that everyone has found someone to interview. I briefly listen to the snippets of conversation.
"Well, it's okay here and there are a large variety of animals to-kshhhhhhh-the HIV and AIDS disease has ravaged our peaceful communities and is screwing everyone up-kshhhhhhhhhhh-I like it here. It's pretty and there's a lot of interesting art and culture and history here." I listen to the opinions of all these people, then I spot a young Swazi and run over to interview her.
"Excuse me," I say politely, "but would you like to be interviewed about your country?" She seemed really surprised, but she managed to reply.
"Uhhh....Well....Ummmm....Okay?"
"Right then, let's go!" I turn on the mic and start to ask her questions.
"What do you like about Swaziland?"
"Well, I do like all of the varieties of animals. I never knew that buffalo lived here!"
"What do you think is a downside to Swaziland?"
"That's obvious! Swaziland has, like, the highest number of HIV and AIDS infected people. It's kinda disturbing, but you don't really have to worry about it."
"Any other information?"
"Well, I think it's very interesting that the Swazis helped the British settlers against the Zulu and Boers. Instead of the other way around."
"Is that all?"
"I guess so."
"Thanks for your time!" I say as I turn off the mic and start to walk toward the rally point. I could here a sigh from the girl behind me, but I didn't look back.
I sent the word out to disengage and meet at the rally point. I found the team waiting for me and we immediately began our march back to the ship. This we did in military style as I found the men were twitching and could hardly stand having to slouch all the time.I realize that humans might find this hard to believe, but we like military stance and being at ease is actually hard for us. Me and Arson have built up a tolerance on Earth, thank god, but otherwise our race dislikes non-military stance. We arrived at the ship and pooled our info with Arson's party.
"What did you find out?" I ask as I approach Arson.
"Well, they have lots of animals. Like the African Buffalo, Water Buck, Blue Duicker, Honey Badger, Striped polecat, Cheeta, and the Aarwolf."
"You know, the Aarwolf would be an awesome name for our ship."
"Your right! All in favor?" To our surprise everyone raised their hands. "Ummm. Okay then. That's the ship's new name!!" And on that note, we all went back inside to share more about our expedition.
"My group figured out that they took the side of the British invaders during the Zulu and Boer wars." I say to Arson in the conference room.
"Yes, but not officially. Swaziland was neutral."
"Shut up. I also found that their air wing contains only six planes!!"
"Wow. Just wow."
"I know right! Anyway, my men found that most of the population is suffering horribly from HIV and AIDS."
"I heard about that too."
"I never knew that buffalo lived here..."
"You mean African Buffalo."
"Ya whatever." At this point we start straying off topic, but the conversation goes on for a while. I ponder what to do with this newly acquired info on a human city, but before I come to a decision, I fall asleep.
i know its long, but i have a lot of dialogue
ReplyDeleteAfrican Buffalo?
ReplyDelete